Review: Wellies and Westies by Cressida McLaughlin

Monday 13 July 2015



Title: Wellies and Westies 

Author: Cressida McLaughlin

Publisher: HarperCollins UK

Source: Review Copy

Purchase: Amazon

A Page of Fictional Love Rating: 





THE BLURB: 

Hilarious, touching and fun, Primrose Terrace will appeal to dog lovers everywhere and fans of Lucy Diamond, Cathy Bramley and Trisha Ashley.

Catherine ‘Cat’ Palmer realises, too late, that bringing an adorable puppy into work at the local nursery was a bad idea, especially after the ensuing chaos gets her the sack.
Determined to turn a negative into a positive, Cat decides this is the perfect opportunity to get her dog-walking business off the ground with the help of her flatmates, Polly and Joe. After all, Primrose Terrace where she lives, is full of home-alone hounds…

Wellies and Westies is the first part of a serialized novel told in four parts – all set in Primrose Terrace.

DAWN'S THOUGHTS: 

I was looking forward to reading the first of a new set of stories that looked and sounded cute, fun and enjoyable. However, I really should have known from my own personal tastes that books about dogs... in fact books about animals in general are generally not my cup of tea.

Anyway, I sat down to read this over the weekend and although I found myself turning the page, I have to say I wasn't bowled over by it. I feel awful writing this review. I want to express how it has nothing what so ever to do with the author or her writing - which is superb, it is solely down to the fact that I don't really enjoy books that spend a huge amount of time talking about animals. For example the paragraph in chapter 3 where Cat takes 6 dogs for a walk... really was worse than listening to nails down a blackboard... it's not my thing. I couldn't get excited about it or feel ... enjoyment from it. My loss hey? 

Now, I can see why so many people would adore this book, it has cute dogs, designer pooch names such as Dior and Valentino. It has puppies (who doesn't love a puppy!), and it has a woman determined to earn money after being fired from her last job. She starts a dog walking business and manages to sign up the super local famous author who has 3 designer pooches. Word spreads, and Cat finds herself happier than she thought. 

So, if you are a dog lover, I am sure you will LOVE, ADORE and DEVOUR this book in a single sitting, but if you're like me and not a fan of dogs or books about animals... perhaps steer clear. 

Well worth a read if your curious, and i'm sure the follow ups will be just as riveting for the right reader. 





Post a Comment