BLOGIVERSARY - Guest 3 - Book Lover, Pixie Allen

Sunday 14 December 2014


For the celebrations, you've heard from two of my favourite authors and friends, and you've heard from me, so I want to end the celebrations by letting my blog be taken over for the day by a book loving, always reading friend of mine, Pixie Allen.
 
I have known Pixie for quite a few years now, in fact it's to remember not knowing her and not being friends. We instantly clicked and have been double trouble ever since. :) We both love books and I know that we each share many books we both love, but we also have books that aren't in each other's niche... but then we have more to talk about and well, I think by combining us both together we could open a bookstore that would be somewhere in between "You've Got Mail's" Bookshop Around the Corner and Fox's Books... although our ethos would very much be "Around the Corner style"!
Anyway, without further ado, here is the beautiful Pixie Allen telling you why she loves reading chick lit, her dreams, and why her beautiful boys love reading too!
 
I always feel a tad awkward starting a guest blog off, for many reasons really but mainly just because I never know where to start.  Dawn was lovely enough to ask me to write about my love of chick lit books and, well, I’m going to try my very best to make it legible.

I guess I should start by telling you about me, my name’s Pixie, I’m a business owner and mom of two tremendous children and wife to one amazing husband, we are, for the moment city dwellers but dream of living out in the English countryside, surrounded by green hills and chirping birds and that unmistakable smell of.... well..... fresh air (I know where you thought I was going!)

For as long as I can remember I’ve been a book worm, since picking up my first book which I believe was Meg and Mog by Helen Nicholl and Jan Pienkowski I was hooked, back then I was drawn in by the big flashes of colour and cool illustrations, and not to mention that Meg was a pretty lousy witch!  I soon progressed through to older books; my teachers could always find me in the library section of the classroom lay on the carpet surrounded by books.  They used to test me to see if I understood what I was reading because I could read fast and therefore was finishing books ahead of time, much to the annoyance of my peer’s lol  But they were always pleasantly surprised that I could explain each step of the story and even hand in book reviews (I told you I was a book geek).
 

As I grew up my love for literature only grew and I was never too far away from the world of fiction.  I had secret aspirations to become a writer but that’s still something I’ve not yet pursued.  What I used to love about chick lit, and still love about it to this day, is the talent that the writer has, I know from the first paragraph whether that book is for me.  I want the author to pull me in to the story so much so that I feel like I’m actually in that story with them, that I can see the characters as if I was on a film set and I was watching the story unfold through my very own eyes.

The thing is with chick lit, for me at least, I can totally chill out when I’m reading it, I know it’s going to relax me, and give me some down time, or escape time, without actually having to leave the house.  I love delving into other peoples worlds and fiction always always gives me that ‘coming home’ feeling.  A good book is more valuable to me than any other item I own, because a book can continue to inspire me for moths after I’ve read the last page.
 


My grandma always used to say, a good book will live in your soul for all eternity, I sometimes think I’m one of the few who actually still feels this way about books, loosing yourself in a book is almost like meditation, you know the endings going to give you goose bumps, it will keep you focused on the highest good and it will continue to make you happy just by thinking about it.

Few authors have managed to fully take me in, but a few of my favourite authors have never failed, I love the writings of Jenny Colgan, Ali McNamara, Sophie Kinsella, Jane Green, Miranda Dickinson, Debbie Macomber and Lindsey Kelk they just get it right with each new publication.  I’ve also fallen in love with Giovanna Fletcher who wrote ‘Billy and Me’ her writing style is so easy to read.  One book that really stayed with me this year, and my favourite book of the year was The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  I realised that I was late to the party with this one, but what this author did with this story was beyond anything I have ever felt reading a book before, I won’t go into detail about the book in case you haven’t read it, but all I can say is, John Green wrote a book that will make you see life through very different eyes once you read this.

I’ve passed my love of books on to my children too who love to read, they are huge Roald Dahl and David Walliams Fans, I see so much of myself in them, especially when I walk into their rooms and they are lay on the floor surrounded by books... gives me happy squishes to see it.

Every few years a debate hits the news about how outdated books are and how everything should be in e-book format.  I have to touch on this and say... the thought of not actually being able to hold a book in my hands is terrifying, I can’t imagine what a terrible impact that would have, it would close down so many book shops, and I know a lot of people like the e-book thing, but for me I’m not a fan, I want to be able to hold an actual book, not a tablet, with a glaring back light, I remember the years of reading my books in bed under the covers with a torch so I wouldn’t get caught after lights out! 
 
 

I’ll leave you today with this question ... What do you get from a book that you can’t get from anywhere else?

Oh and one last thing before I go,  a BIG Thank You to Dawn, for asking me to join in on her Blogiversary celebrations, I’m so very proud of this little niche you’ve created, keep it up, it’s amazing.

Bright Blessings & Moonbeams

Pixie

Post a Comment