Publication Day | Keep Her Secret by Mark Edwards

Tuesday 30 May 2023

 Today is the publication day for a book I'm close to finishing as I write this. I was hoping to write a full review for today but I think what I've read so far can provide enough of an insight without risking any spoilers because I simply don't yet know how it ends. 


Keep Her Secret is the first book I've ever written by Mark Edwards, but from what I can tell from the book community it's definitely not his first novel. His other books have some amazing reviews so I'm sure this release has been highly anticipated by his fans of previous works. Whilst I can't compare or say in my opinion whether this is; as good, better or not as good as previous titles, I can say that if you're new to his work like I am then this is as good a novel as any to begin with. 



The book begins with two friends who have recently rekindled their connection heading off to Iceland as their first holiday as a couple. When they were younger they used to date, but life has happened in between (just how *much* has happened in Helena's life we can only prepare for). 


Events happen during this week away, and it's like one near miss just rolls into other forms of *snowball incidents* - it really becomes the get-a-way that keeps on giving. 


Helena opens up to Matthew about her past in a confessional that I doubt he was ready for, yet it doesn't phase him, is that the mark of true love holding hands with unapologetic acceptance, or is there another reason behind the sheer lack of 'I need to think about this'? I honestly don't know, I'm not at the end of the book yet. 


As I'm reading the eBook version I'd say I got to around 40% before the pace quickened. So definitely stick with it because all is definitely not as it seems, and whilst at the start it may appear to be heading in one direction and seem to be resembling a calm chaos, it quickly pulls the rug from beneath you and sharply changes direction. My head definitely got a shake up, and I wanted to storyboard it out and tap into my inner Vera (ITV detective series) and see how this all plays out. 


The character development is unexpected. The saying; 'You think you know someone ..' certainly comes to mind, as does "you don't know someone unless you follow them home...(or they follow you!) Helena seems to be a kind woman who happened to end up with the wrong man, and Matthew seems to be the one that got left behind, Lee (Helena's husband) seems a piece of work...and Devon (she was on the Iceland trip) seems just like an ordinary traveller who happens to be on the same guided trip as Helena and Matthew. 


I used one key phrase there: SEEMS TO BE


All in all, I am enjoying this read, eagerly swiping the pages to get to the next chapter where I might uncover the plot ... and the extent to these secrets. 


I'm awarding it 4/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐ but it could easily grow to 4.5 



Read on below for the synopsis



*Thank you to Thomas and Mercer for allowing me to have an advanced readers copy via Netgalley*


SYNOPSIS


After twenty years apart, Matthew and Helena have rekindled their college romance and are away in Iceland on their first holiday together. Swept up in the romance on a mountain hike, one moment they are taking the perfect photo, the next Helena is hanging from the cliff edge…


Terrified, Matthew almost misses Helena’s sudden and shocking confession—but what he hears chills him to the bone. And when Helena reveals the full truth Matthew is horrified, not only by what she’s done, but why she did it. Does he really know her at all?


His shock turns to horror when, back in England, they discover that someone not only overheard Helena’s confession but plans to blackmail her. Now Matthew must decide whether to go to the police or help Helena keep her secret—and as events spiral out of control, how far is Matthew willing to go to protect his ‘perfect’ girlfriend?


Post a Comment