Review | A Way Back To Happy by Olivia Spooner

Sunday 10 October 2021

 


A Way Back To Happy by Olivia Spooner

Published by Aria & Ares

Edition Read ~ eBook

ISBN ~ 9781800249462

Price ~ £2.99 (GBP)


Book Description

Sometimes you have to fall apart so that you can start again...

After five years stuck in the wrong marriage, 33-year-old Emma is finally free. Her husband has moved out, her son Freddie is making friends, and her parents are finally trying to stop micro-managing her life.

On a celebratory night out with her three best friends, Emma meets Finn. Young, dimpled and irresistibly Scottish Finn. Between landing her dream job, stolen moments with Finn, and precious time with Freddie, Emma is happier than she has ever been.

Then one accident changes everything and Emma's life is thrown into chaos. With the help of all who love her, can Emma find a way back to happy?


MY REVIEW ~ 5 Stars 

I began reading this book on Tuesday 5th October - my 33rd Birthday, and I wil admit that I was elated when I discovered that the lead character in this story, Emma, was also 33 and was facing a bit of a shit storm in her own life. I don't know why but I really find comfort in characters facing a difficult period in their lives especially when their feelings are ones that I can identify with myself. I suppose it's a human thing to want to not be the only person facing a tough time, yet us Brits find it difficult to not only talk about to ourselves let alone to admit to others. This is why books are so wonderful - we can escape into the pages and confess our own secrets and lies to the characters. It bonds us, and thus the story becomes a part of who we are as we personalise it. 

So, I met Emma and her four year old adorable son Freddie, and I immediately warmed to her as she faced the difficulty of telling her husband Paul that she was leaving him and whilst she is a mother and I am not yet, it was a situation I could understand and empathise with. I never warmed to Paul, in fact I was in agreement with her friend Lily (Go Team Lily!) where her husband was concerned. 

The plot of the story kept me interested, and motivated to keep turning the page to find out how Emma navigate the break up which was a suprise but not in the way you'd expect. I felt myself having a soft spot for Finn who became Emma's guilty pleasure after a one night stand. I think every woman reading this book will think the same thing about Emma in regards to Finn - and that is "Lucky Bugger". 

The story is told in weekly increments, both before and after, and I have honestly never read a story set out this way before and that was partly the excitement and enjoyment of reading along with the excellent and original plot. I also loved that it was based down under as opposed to the UK or the US. It's just nice to truly escape into a book. When the girls; Emma, Lily, Trish and Mags went to Bali, I wanted to go with them, and they even got me to get up early and do morning Yoga - although I passed on the hummus and carrot sticks. 

It was fascinating following the journey of Emma as she overcame one of the hardest years of her life, right up until the last page the plot had me wondering what was actually going to happen. It might sound cliche, but right now I feel inspired by Emma, with the changes in my own life that's happening, and how daunting it feels, I find myself thinking, If Emma can do what she did, after what happened to her, then I can do this.

I would love to read more by Olivia Spooner, and in fact I quite want a follow up to this one so we finally get to meet the babies! I'd quite like to see the Girls starting some "mums club" and of course more of what Olivia does best - and that is keep me guessing as to what's going to happen next. 



You can purchase now in eBook version, and from all good bookshops in paperback from 11th November 2021


*Thank you to Aria Fiction for allowing me to read an advanced reader copy via NetGalley in return for an honest review*

Post a Comment